I got my inspiration from Alicia at Thrify & Chic. But like most of us I made a few alterations! While I loved the wheat, I wasn't sure where I was going to be able to get that in in short notice. So on one of my already scheduled shopping trips I picked up Spanish moss ($2), a faux grass and fox tail swag ($5), a maple leaf bunch for some colour ($1) and floral foam (FYI I never used my floral foam because it's MIA-still haven't found it) I had a small jam jar (free!) that I was going to use as my base.
Here's what I started with
Since my floral foam was MIA, I decided I would fill my jar with Spanish moss. It would work just as well as the foam. But first I had to transform my ugly jam jar. I used a thick ribbon leftover from a giant box of chocolates (Valentines Day) that was brown with pinky polka dots! PERFECT! I hot glued the ribbon on, wrapping it tight so it wouldn't slip. I had a bit of jar showing at the neck, but I had a plan for that!
Great! So I stuffed my jar with Spanish moss and got to faux floral arranging. I actually took apart the grass swag into small parts so I could arrange it how I wanted. I also cut the stems off my maple leaf bunch so I could place them where I wanted. Once I had the 3 fox tails in the right places I started filling up the rest of the jar with more grass. I glued the maple leaf stems into the arrangement, or else they'd be camped out around the perimeter like an invading army-lame! It was starting to come together!
But something was missing. I still felt like it was just bad fake flowers sticking out of a jar...well not entirely, but sort of....so I got an idea. I wrapped raffia around the lip of the jar several times and tied a big bow. I did this 2-3 times to cover up any jar the was still showing. I also liked how the raffia gave it a more natural/rural feel
Cost =$10-including floral foam
Time= 45 minutes MAX!
I will post more pictures soon, when I figure out where it is going to live this season. You'll have to wait and see!
Linkin' Up To