Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Daddy Lou's Nuts & Bolts

I can't believe I'm posting this recipe.  I feel that, like many of Dad's recipes, this one should be top secret. 
This is my Dad's Nuts & Bolts recipe; 
a recipe that I have been hounded for by friends and family alike.  Mostly because it is SO DARN GOOD! 
Not to mention easy and realtively cheap. 
The other day one of my cousins asked if Dad had a special ingredient, because she didn't think hers had turned out right.  I told her "His secret ingredient was love".  I know it's cheezy, but it's true.  Dad loved to cook for us, and when you love what you're doing and make it for people you love, it just turns out better.

Dad ONLY made this special treat for us at Christmas
and it will always remind me of him.


Daddy Lou's Nuts & Bolts
1 1/2 cup margarine, melted
2 Tbls worchestshire sauce
10 cups Cheerios
4-6 cups Shreddies
4-5 cups pretzel sticks
3 cups salted peanuts
2 Tbls celery salt
1 tsp garlic salt
2 tsp onion salt
 
Melt the margarine and add the Worchestershire sauce to it.
Set aside.


 
In a large roaster.....and I mean large,
pour in all the cereal, pretzels and peanuts.

Cheerios...yup 10 cups

Add those Shreddies- my fave



 While stirring, pour the butter mixture
over the cereal mixture until well moistened.


 
Mix spices together in a small prep bowl and sprinkle over cereal.  Toss while you sprinkle for an even distribution. 
 
Bake, uncovered, for 1 1/2 hours at 200* F. 
Store in airtight containers.
 
 
Check back tomorrow to see how I upcycled and festified (is that a word ?) this delicious and festive mix into super cute gifties! 

1 comment:

sarah said...

This was my favourite snack at christmas time. now you just need to come up with a nacho flavour :)