Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Super Bowl Snacks

Do I care about American football and all the hooplah which is the Super Bowl? No not really.  Do I love any excuse to make food.? Especially finger food, appetizers. Yes I do! 
Of course it's easier to load up on puff pastry frozen goodies from Costco- but I like to be adventurous. 

This is one of the more healthy snacks I made for Super Bowl weekend.  The original recipe can be found here at Closet Cooking.  If you like to cook you NEED to follow this blog (and mine, of course!)

Cucumber Roll Ups
English Cucumber
Greek yoghurt
Feta cheese
Sun dried tomatoes
Kalamata olives
Lemon Juice
Dill
S & P
toothpicks

I think the measurements are up to you for this one.  But I will list what I used.  In a bowl mix 1/4 cup Greek yoghurt with 1/2 cup crumbled feta.  I had hard feta but I just chopped it up and crumbled it in.


Next chop up your olives and sun dried tomatoes.  I used 2 tablespoons of both olives and sun dried tomatoes.  My tomatoes are in oil and were a bit overpowering in the final combination.  So I would recommend going easy on the sun dried tomatoes.


Then add your seasonings; fresh squeezed lemon juice, salt and pepper and some dill.  I put in about 2 teaspoons of dill- I should have added more!  Stir until well mixed.

Then you have to slice your cucumber.  If you have a mandoline, take it out and dust it off now!  I thought I'd be so pro and slice the cucumber myself.  When in reality I wasted more than I used. You'll see what I resorted to.  The thinner the cucumber the better.


Spoon about a tablespoon of mix onto the cucumber and roll it up!  Secure with a toothpick (or whatever is on hand....I can't believe I don't have toothpicks! 

As you can see, I gave up on the pretty presentation and just put it on slices of cucumber.  Actually, that's kind of a great idea.  Slice your cucumber into rounds and put a dollop of mix on top.  A lot less fuss!


 They were very good.  Very chic; a deconstructed tzatziki almost.  So refreshing.  These would be a good replacement for cucumber sandwiches at a shower or BBQ.  Let me know how yours turn out, should you ever give them a try!

And Super Bowl wouldn't be Super Bowl without Nachos! *drool*


1 comment:

test it comm said...

Glad you enjoyed the cucumber rolls! I actually took all of the bits that I did not use and mixed them up and ate them 'deconstructed' by the spoonfull. :)