Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Thanksgiving Brussel Sprouts

Since Tyler and I live so far away from "home" (745 Miles), we only make it back for the big holidays...mainly Christmas.  But we have some wonderful pseudo family that we spend Thanksgiving and Easter and other fun days with.

They might as well be family.  Dr. Bob (on the right) was my Dad's best friend growing up.  His family is my "BC family".  I even danced with Bob (and my Dad's other best friend Bill on the left in the photo below) at my wedding this summer.  
They're my Dad stand ins.
Randal Kurt Photography
So we went to their house for Thanksgiving dinner.  I ALWAYS bring something-I have to.  Usually it's my Spring Salad with cranberries, strawberries, pecans and goat cheese but this year I wanted to try something different.  BRUSSELS SPROUTS!
I know what you're thinking "Ew, Brussels sprouts. There is no way I would ever eat those gross green things!"  
Not even if there's bacon involved?  
Ah, now I have your attention.  

What You'll Need
2.5 lbs Brussels sprouts, stems removed and halved
2 shallots, sliced thin
1 package of bacon, chopped
1 1/2 cups water
salt
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

Sauté shallots & bacon in a deep frying pan until bacon is crispy.  

Transfer mixture to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
Add the Brussels sprouts, water and 1/2 tsp of salt to the skillet and increase the heat a bit.  Cover and simmer until the sprouts are bright green, about 9 minutes.  Uncover and continue to cook the sprouts until the liquid has evaporated.  


Remove from heat and stir in the bacon/shallot mixture along with the butter and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper and dig in!

OMG!  I could eat these all the time.  This recipe was so easy and so good.  It was a great side dish for Thanksgiving, even Christmas.  If you need to convert someone to the dark green side, you should make these Brussels sprouts for them.


 Do you dare to try these delicious little guys?   Bacon makes everything better right?  So you know it's gonna be awesome!  Give them a try and let me know how you like them.


Where The Party At?


Dragonfly Designs







No comments: