Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Yoga

I can't believe how much I am loving my new addiction.  Yup, it's yoga.  And you might be thinking "Leslie, you're a dance teacher.  You workout everyday with the students etc etc"  Not as much as you might think.  There's a lot I love about yoga that is different than dance.  

1). I love that the hour is just for me.  Sure my splits pose might be better than the person on the mat next to me, but when ever my quads are involved, I'm tighter than coiled spring.  I work wherever I am that day....and THAT'S OK!  And I love that.

2).  There's something sacred about yoga, and I've been missing that in my life.  Since I lost my Dad, I've been hiding from dealing with it.  In fact I can't even go to church without crying during the service.  I often feel broken and lost even though I have a lot of amazing things happening in my life, loosing Dad has left a giant hole in my heart.  I feel that yoga is helping me heal that.

3). I always feel better after yoga.  And I'm not a ball of jello like after a really hard dance class.  I feel energized and restored and ready to face the day after yoga.  And that's a really great feeling.  

4). There's an inclusive feeling to yoga that is different than dance.  There is no competition that is encouraged (of course you have to let go of your own competitive nature-which is difficult for me).  I like that it's ok to be who you are and practice yoga in your own way.  I feel really supported in that way.

5).  I've always had self esteem and body image issues, for as long as I can remember.  The positive approach to self, yoga practice and the world is something I need (see reason #2).  I have never felt worthy or important (even after getting many of the things I have wanted in my life) but yoga allows me to feel good about myself even if it's just for an hour.  A little bit of that hangs on thru the day.

I don't want to be too preachy, because I think everyone has their 'yoga', something that helps them grow into the person they are supposed to be.  Yoga is helping me be a better teacher, a better wife, and a better person in general, with less stress, less worry and less anxiety.  In addition to yoga I'm starting a meditation journey on March 11th through the Deepak Chopra Centre.  I'm going to be so zen!  I can hope.

2 comments:

JenLaneulie said...

You found your Yoga Upswing! I'm thrilled to hear that you've found yoga to be so healing - I feel the same way :)

Anonymous said...

Leslie,

So sorry to hear that you often feel broken and lost... we all have moments when we feel like that, but it's great that you found something to help you with that. I'm sure your dad is very proud of you for doing something that makes you feel good about yourself, your body image and something that is helping you heal from all the events in the past year or so- life has a way of turning itself upside down and back again sometimes, huh? Also... you ARE worthy and you ARE important - please believe that because it is true *easier said than done at times*! Next time you feel bad about yourself, your body or anything look yourself in the mirror and tell yourself 10 good things about yourself. "I'm funny", "My splits pose is great!", "I have a wonderful husband.", "My dad loves me...". It's great to hear that you are doing this for yourself - I hope you find that strong, beautiful and courageous women that is inside. YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!

Oh and one last thing - crying isn't a sign of weakness, it's a sign of trying to have been too strong for too long. I think crying will, in a way, help you to heal that hole in your heart; wether it be at a church service or in your bedroom. It may be difficult, but talking to someone or even just crying it out and talking to yourself will help a lot.

I hope this made you feel important and worthy because you are... lots of love being sent your way :) Did this make you smile?

~ I'm close enough to know you, yet far enough to respect you.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3