Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Altered Canvas

I had actually started this canvas as a birthday gift....but I was too busy to finish it.  Luckily I had a bridal shower coming up and I thought it was the perfect opportunity to finally hunker down and finish it.

First I started with a 12 x 12 canvas and a piece of scrapbooking paper.  I Mod Podge the paper to the canvas.  Once it was dry I sanded away the edges of the paper (read time consuming).  I also sprayed the surface with some grey spray ink to give it an antique look.

Next up I added a page from a book that had fallen apart.  I tried to find the most romantic passages since this was a bridal shower gift.  If I'd had a picture of the couple I would have used it instead!
I tore the edges of the book page, inked the torn edges in brown and then used grey spray ink again to add that vintage touch.

Then it was onto the embellishments, which included a bird, the word "love" some washi tape, some lace, 2 fabric flowers, and paper flowers.  The lace originally was BRIGHT white.  I sprayed the back of the lace with a combination of blue and grey spray ink for just the right hue.




These were both wood laser cuts that I sprayed with spray ink so they would match the canvas theme (I think I have a problem?!?!) 

And here's what the finished product looked like!

I won't lie.  It was definitely a big hit at the bridal shower.  And I may or may not have made another one already.  I'm not sure if I love it as much as this one....if you'd like to see it, check out my Instagram.  I'm on Instagram quite a bit.  It's fast and easier than writing a whole post...especially when the weather is nice.  Be sure to follow me to see what I'm up to this summer.
Dragonfly Designs

No comments: