Thursday, July 22, 2010

Stove Top Cooking for Summer

So my friend Amy, actually my sister's friend but I have hijacked her a bit, is complaing that a lot of blogs have grilling recipes becuase 'it's too darn hot to cook inside'.....well that's probably true except in the Canadian Prairies, which is where she lives.  They've had ALOT of rain lately (this coming from a girl who lives on the "Wet Coast").  So this delicious (and fast) recipe is for her.

The original recipe is from the America's Test Kitchen Cook Book, I have made a few changes and variations.  I'm one of those 'cooks' who never follows the quantities, so my quantities in this recipe are guidelines for how I like to make it.  For example, I like mushrooms, so I put alot of mushrooms in it.  Likewise if you don't like mushrooms, put something else in.  PS: This cook book is THE BOMB!  It has substitution charts and conversion charts.  It's SO practical, even if you've been cooking a long time.

BUSY MUMS READ THIS PART
this meal literally takes 20 minutes. 
I make it for my fiance before he jets off to play hockey (carbs & protein=good), or if I just have no clue what to make.  It's easy, delicous and has a nice combo of protein, carbs and vegetables for growing bodies.

"Fake It Tuna" Casserole

What You'll Need:
     1 medium onion, finely chopped
     2 cups fresh sliced musrooms
     egg noodles
     1 Cup whipping cream/heavy cream
     2 cups chicken/vegetable broth
     2 cans (170 g can) flaked white tuna (the regular stubby cans)
     1-2 Cups frozen peas (or fresh peas!!!mmmm )
     salt & pepper to taste
     lemon wedges

How To Make It:
In an electric kettle, boil at least 2 cups water for broth.  Once water is boiling make broth in a seperate bowl.  I usually do this step while the mushrooms and onions are cooking

In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onions until soft.  Transfer to bowl.

Place raw noodles in skillet and pour heavy cream and broth over noodles.  Simmer until noodles are at desired tenderness.  I usually cover the noodles, but be careful not to let it boil over (like I do).  Stir occaisionally.

Stir in tuna and peas and heat.  Add salt and pepper.  Stir in mushroom and onion mixture and heat through.  TA DA!  You're done.  Serve in a bowl (in front of the TV?).  I like to add extra salt and pepper to my individual bowl as well as fresh squeezed lemon (1 wedge's worth of juice).  Lemon and tuna just complement each other nicely.

I wish I had a photo of this recipe.  It really is delicious.  I recently made it with whole wheat rotini noodles and canned crab meat since we didn't have any tuna in the house.  It was great.

This is a No Cook Salad that is DELICIOUS AND WAY TOO EASY.... I had to post it

Tabouleh Salad
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabbouleh


What You'll Need
1 cup bulghur wheat
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup good olive oil
3 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 cup minced green onions, white and green parts
1 cup chopped fresh mint leaves 
1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley 
1 cucumber, medium-diced
2 cups chopped tomatoes
freshly ground black pepper




How To Make It:
Place the bulghur in a large bowl, pour in the boiling water, and add the lemon juice, olive oil, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Stir, then allow to stand at room temperature for about 1 hour.

Add the green onions, mint, parsley, cucumber, tomatoes, 2 teaspoons salt, and the pepper; mix well. Season, to taste, and serve or cover and refrigerate. The flavor will improve if the tabbouleh sits for a few hours.

I am going to make this tonight I think, but instead of bulghar wheat, I'm going to use chick peas!!!  If I stick to my guns and actually make that for dinner, I will post it tomorrow :)

5 comments:

Jill said...

LOL. When I saw this come up in my blog feed, I thought "I'm going to have to send this to Amy. And then I realized it was your blog. Also, I'm not sure if the aversion to grilling is because of rain right now. I'm going to guess that a lot of it has to do with mosquitoes!! anyway, good choices. Mom says your tuna casserole is good (i'm not a fan of mom's. lol) and Amy loves tabouleh salad.

Jill said...

Also, I've written the posts for the next 2 weeks worth of WTHW. Additionally, I have an exciting prize for next month. Stay tuned for deetz!

Amy said...

1) American's Test Kitchen = awesome. 2) I'm not adverse to grilling, I'm bored of all the grilling recipes, there doesn't seem a lot of variety anymore, it's just grill grill grill! 3) I love tabouleh salad and I'm totally going to try feeding Landon bulgur because he won't touch couscous (my old recipe used that).

L.A. said...

I will have to send you my rub recipe. It's one of the only ways I like BBQ (ok that's a lie I love bbqing) but it can get tedious. So I use this rub on salmon, and chicken. Also, I highly recomend getting the BBQ Grill Basket from Papmered Chef (kinda pricey but well worth it!) I use it for asparagus ALOT! Or zuchini and peppers! Mmmmmmm

Jill said...

Making the tuna casserole for supper tonight. It doesn't take 20 minutes. I'm cooking the noodles now and I'm at 27 minutes. :P