Saturday, July 17, 2010

Crafting Out!

  A while back I made my soon-to-be mother-in-law a Mother's Day Card and a Birthday Card. Here they are with some info about how I made them and what I used!

Card One
Happy Bird-Day
For the primary image and idea for my card, I started with the birthday cake stamp (lower).  I used Mr Sketch Markers and coloured the cake purple and the tray brown and stamped it on a piece of beige card stock.  Next I inked the bird (orange) also with Mr Sketch markers (orange-duh).  That bird stamp is only half of the actually design.  It actually has a quote under the birds legs...something like "You're tweet/sweet" (I'll look at it when I get home)  I then stamped the bird on top of the cake.  Once the image was dry I free hand wrote the phrase "Happy Bird-day" in purple inky pen.  It seemed un-finished, even though I had accomplished what I wanted.  So I mounted the beige card stock on brown card stock and place an orange gem stone brad at each corner.  For the card itself I used floral motif stamp in Versa Ink on lilac card stock to create a subtle pattern for the mounted stamped image.  Since the brads only pierce the beige and/or brown card stock, the inside of the card remains flat and smooth for your personal message.

Card Two
Happy Mother's Day
For this card I started with the mounting paper that would make the actual/physical card-the dragonfly paper-which is printed on one side and white on the inside making it perfect for cards!  Then I inked an ivy-esque stamp with dark green Mr Sketch marker and stamped it onto white card stock.  I then used a tri-flower stamp (pink/red) inked it in a metallic red ink and stamped it once on the left hand side of the hanging branch, re-inked the stamp and applied it to the right/underside of the hanging branch.  In the white negative space in the lower right corner I free hand wrote "happy mother's day" in black ink.  To balance out the composition I mounted the white yardstick onto pale green and put a brushed silver brad on the upper right corner and lower left corner.  I then attached the stamped image to the card. This way of attaching the brads leaves the inside of the card smooth and flat, all ready for your personal message.

No comments: