Thursday, January 26, 2012

Cabbage Soup Diet Soup

As I mentioned yesterday I'm doing the Cabbage Soup Diet this week.  Today is Beef and Tomatoes (and soup-of course).  Can't wait for my rosemary steak! If you're interested in the Cabbage Soup Diet, here is my adapted recipe for the soup. 

Leslie's Cabbage Soup

What  you'll need
Green Onions
Green Peppers
Cabbage
Carrots
Celery
Mushrooms
Canned Tomatoes
Low Sodium V8 Juice
Knorr Low Sodium Vegetable Soup Mix
Low Sodium Chicken Bullion
Red Chili Flakes & Fresh Ground Pepper
10" or 12" SHARP chef knife

Slice up one bunch of green onions.  In a stock pot, spray Pam (instead of oil or butter) and saute the onions for a few minutes. 


While that's cooking, chop up your green pepper into bite sized pieces and add to the pot.  I used 2 green peppers.  Mine weren't the best flavour  so they gave the soup a bitter tang. 

Next slice your head of cabbage in half (this is why you need a good knife).  Then cut the cabbage into bite sized pieces.  You'll see that I sliced mine and then chopped up the slices, much like you would when cutting up an onion. 


 Put the cabbage in the pot with the other veggies and allow to cook for several minutes.


While that's cooking slice your carrots, mushrooms, and celery.  If you hate mushrooms, you can leave them out.  Add these veggies to your pot.  This does make a lot of soup.  I started my first batch in my Dutch Oven and had to move it over to my BIG stock pot.  Use a big pot!


Once all the veggies are in add your canned tomatoes.  I used 2 cans of diced tomatoes.  Don't use the seasoned ones because they have a lot of extra sugar and salt.  I also added red chili flakes and fresh ground pepper to give it some zing.


Now to add the broth.  Empty the Knorr soup into a 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup with boiling water.  Stir and add to the veggies.  Next do 4 cups of chicken broth.  I make this chicken broth diluted probably half the suggested powder to water ratio.  You really want to avoid salt at all costs.  Lastly I add 3-4 cups of low sodium V8 vegetable juice.  I found one that is low sodium and high in fibre and used that for my second batch.


Allow to simmer.  Online says 2 hours...I say until the veggies are cooked.  You don't want a totally mushy soup.  Now, be prepared, because your house will stink like cabbage.  You won't notice it unless you leave and come back :) 
Just a warning!


If you like minestrone you will probably like this soup.  I made 2 batches-I'm sure we won't go through the whole second batch, so I froze it.  Ty likes it quite a bit.  However the soup is starting to get monotonous...Day 5. But usually there are other things to eat besides the soup.  Now excuse me while I go make some steak!  Yee haw!
 
 
 
You can get all the facts and info online at the Cabbage Soup Diet website

No comments: