Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Zucchini Au Gratin

No it's not summer, and no my crisper isn't full to the brim with summer zucchini.  But this is still a great recipe to try any time of year.  I pinned this recipe a while ago, thinking I would make it eventually.  Don't you love it when you make something you pinned?  I know - Accomplishment!


 
What You Need
2 lbs of zucchini
salt
 1 lb frozen spinach
(I used two frozen boxes-it was more than 1 lb who cares?)
I probably used 5-8 slices of bacon
(instead of the recommended 3)
1 large onion
1/2 cup parsley
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
3 eggs
Olive oil
 



 
Grate the zucchini (I hope you have a food processor or something.  Cuz I grated mine with my cheese grater - awful!). Toss the zucchini with some salt and place in a large sieve or colander and allow the excess moisture to drain.  Let it sit for about 30 minutes.  Or if you're impatient like me, squeeze out the moisture with paper towels!
 
 



 
Thaw the spinach and let it drain while the zucchini is draining.  Again, I used paper towels to squeeze out extra moisture because, as my friends and family know, I was not blessed with the gift of patience!  (So why am I a dance teacher? Lol)
 



 
While the veggies are leaking (ew), heat a large skillet and add the chopped bacon.  Cook until most of the fat has been rendered out.  I like my bacon crispy so I cooked it longer than the suggested time.  While the bacon is cooking peel and chop the onion.  Add it to the bacon in and continue to cook until the onions have softened.
 



 
 
While that's cooking, prepare the parsley and garlic.  Mince the garlic and parsley with  salt and pepper and set aside.
 



Okay-now we're ready! 
Preheat the oven to 350 F.  Put the drained zucchini in a large bowl and mix in the onion/bacon mixture.
 



 
Mix in the spinach and the parsley/garlic mixture.  Stir well.  I think I put the whole 1/2 cup of Parmesan in the casserole (even though it only calls for 1/4 cup in the mixture).  Add salt and pepper to taste-I should have added more in mine.  Lastly mix in the eggs (this is the glue that will hold everything together!)
 



 
Grease your favourite casserole dish and spoon the mixture in.  Make sure to pack the veggies down, to make it compact and stick together.
 



 
Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top to create a crust.  I used powdered Parmesan so it definitely gave a different crust/topping than grated parm.
 



 
 
Bake at 350 F for 40-45 minutes until the top is nicely browned.  I pretty sure that I turned on my broiler to brown the top after the suggested cooking time.  Serve it up straight away.
 



 
We had it on it's own, but this casserole makes an amazing side dish.  It reheats well, so no worries about making too much.
 




I be partying

No comments: