Thursday, October 25, 2012

A Very Different Halloween


I originally wrote this post last year and was never able to finish it.  As I look back on everything that has happened I thought I would share what I was doing, this time last year.

My life has been a bit of a shambles lately.  I had my in-laws at my house for Canadian Thanksgiving (October 10).  A few days after they left I got a phone call from my family asking me to come home due to a medical emergency.  So I have been in Saskatchewan since October 20th.  The Reader's Digest version is my dad has been in the hospital since October 10th and has been in the ICU since October 19th.  He has made some progress, albeit slowly.  Right now we are impatiently waiting for him to wake up.  The other day he opened his eyes when I asked him to, so that's definitely a step in the right direction.
 
So needless to say my Halloween plans were a little different than normal.  I hung out with my sister and her boyfriend and I elbowed in on their Halloween traditions; carving a pumpkin, making nachos and watching Halloween TV.  We didn't have a plan for the pumpkin, so we just whipped this design out.  We didn't have a printer so we didn't follow my awesome pumpkin carving tutorial from last year. But we still managed to carve a pretty sweet pumpkin!  At least I think so.

Jilly cut off the top of the pumpkin and we both scooped out the pumpkin guts.  Of course we saved the pumpkin seeds (literally the second best thing about carving pumpkins).  Jill scraped the inside of the pumpkin real clean and made sure to really scrape the side of the pumpkin we were going to carve, making it thinner and easier to work with.

 Next I drew our image.  This year we picked Jack Skellington from the Nightmare Before Christmas. Primarily because it was easy for me to free hand.  Yes I drew this free-hand.  
Are you impressed? 

Then Jilly starting carving.  Normally I would never give this task to anyone else, but we only had one pumpkin, so we had to share.  While she was carving I helped her BF make nachos!

Doesn't it look like she's gonna cut her thumb off? Crazy woman!

TA DA!

On display, outside

Jill, taking all the credit, as usual

Ok here are the nachos!  
I know you're so jealous right!
So delicious!

We didn't have many kids so we may or may not have eaten a "few" Halloween treats.... and we also watched the last half of the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor.  It was a funny night.
 
  Even though I spent a couple of hours at the hospital it was a pretty good night!  How was your Halloween?

This year I'll be celebrating Halloween with my best girlfriend Rachel and her daughter Bella!  Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Natas Nest said...

Hi Leslie, nice blog! I've just signed in :-). I like that funny pumpkin! Sending all my best wishes for your dad.