Monday, November 5, 2012

21 Day Meditation Challenge

I am so excited!
Today I start my journey in meditation.  This is something I've wanted to do for a while now.  Did y'all see Oprah's Next Chapter where she went to Fairfield Iowa, which is like the epicentre for transcendental mediation in the USA?  It was phenomenal!  It really got me thinking.

My blog title is Try To Keep Up!  and it stands/represents for a lot of things I try to keep up with.  I have always felt like I can never keep up with my mind.  My mind is always on the go and jumping around from thought to thought.  It's a personality trait I love but I know it is difficult for my loved ones to deal with.  My Dad was one of the best people who could see the invisible threads of where my thoughts came from (most of the time, not always!) Even Tyler says "I can see the hamster wheel turning", and he's right.  My hamster is always running.  So I am going to meditate.  At least 15 minutes once a day for the next 21 days!  I hope to do it twice a day, but maybe I'll work up to that.

The more I've learnt about mediation in the last week or so is that it's not about tuning out (which I definitely thought that it was about), but more so about tuning in.  Listening to your heart, literally, breathing, bringing awareness to your body and ..... just being.  The mantra you use in meditation is "I am" or "soham" in Sanskrit and I love it.  I just watched a video from Deepak (oh yeah we're cool like that, first name basis and everything) and he explained that by mentally saying "I Am" or "soham" you enter a state of just being.  He was much more eloquent than that, but it really resonated with me.  The concept of just being, living in the gaps between thoughts, recognizing the infinite possibility, infinte wisdom that exists in those gaps, that's the spirit.  That's the connection to the Lord.  
And I so need that right now.

During this 21 day challenge I will mark one year since my dad's passing.  I am not looking forward to it - in fact I dread acknowledging the reality of how quickly an entire year went by.  I am looking to find peace.

If you want to know more about the 21 Meditation Challenge or sign up click here.  And if you do choose to join the challenge let me know! I want to be supportive in your meditation journey too!

1 comment:

Natas Nest said...

Happy New Year 2013 to you!!