Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Schnitzel

When Ty & I were in Vienna we had some amazing food!  Including true weinerschnitzel, made from veal.  Now I know, everyone has their opinion on veal, and so do I.  I think it's awesome.  Especially when it's prepared traditionally in Vienna.  
 After having this amazing weinerschnitzel, I swore I'd never make my version with pork tenderloin.  Well that was until I was running low on dinner ideas and decided to make schnitzel.  But I make a few small changes to make it more authentic.  So here's how to make relatively authentic weinerschnitzel, with pork.

Take your pork tenderloin and cut into medallions.  Then take a plastic sandwich bag and place over the medallion.  With a meat tenderizer, hit the medallion until it flat.  REALLY FLAT! 
As I learned, the thinner the better.


Mix some garlic salt, pepper, parmesan cheese and bread crumbs together and put on a plate.  Dunk your meat in an egg wash and then coat in the breadcrumb mixture.


Then heat some vegetable oil in a large, flat skillet.  Once the oil is hot, place the breaded meat into the oil.  The thinner you pounded your meat, the better - the tenderloin will cook faster and more evenly.  (The schnitzel we had in Vienna was probably deep fried)

I served this delicious schnitzel with noodles (you're singing aren't you? ha ha ha! Me too), and broccoli!  In Vienna they served the schnitzel with a slice of lemon, which I had never tried before.  Now I'm hooked, as you can see, I had lemon with my pork schnitzel and it was super tasty!

No comments: